Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Serenity - Oldie, but a Goodie!


Serenity
By: Tanner Phillips



Serenity was not a movie that I even wanted to see. I had seen the previews in the past and really thought very little of it. In fact, the little thought I did cramp out of my puny little brain was that it was probably going to be really stupid. It was just not at the top of my list. To be totally honest, it wasnt on my list at all. However, with the pleadings of my cousin Cody, who is also a movie critic for us here at Movie Fiends; I finally acquiesced and watched it.

I must say that I was very pleased that I did too. Serenity was a surprisingly great movie! I think that I always like movies a lot better when my expectations for them are low. Maybe thats the case with Serenity, but I dont really think so. Either way however, I really enjoyed it. It was an action packed thriller slash comedy that really kept a great pace and a surprisingly strong storyline.

The made for TV series of Serenity was canceled after a very short playing period. The die hard fans were absolutely devastated and even angry! They did everything to get Serenity back on TV but to no avail. However, they fought long and hard to get something out of Serenity, and thus, the big screen wonder was born.

It was unfortunately a flop in theatres; in my opinion it was due to bad marketing and some really weak sauce trailers. However, I think that it is a movie that you just need to take for what its worth. If you go into it with the intention of pretty much just being entertained then you will most likely enjoy it a lot! However, if you just want to see it to be critical, and tear it apart for this or that. Then theres a good chance you might not like it that much. My mom hated it, and my dad liked it. Its just one of those fun entertaining movies that you can watch every few years or so, just for that heck of it.

No comments: